Our Lay-by policy:
- The lay-by period is for a maximum of six weeks.
- A deposit of 20% of the total purchase value must be paid upon commencement of the transaction.
- The minimum lay-by sale is $100.
- The cancellation charge on a lay-by is 20% of the total purchase price.
- There are no returns or exchanges on lay-by items with the exception of faulty goods.
- The customer or the store has the right to cancel a lay-by.
- If the customer cancels the lay-by within three weeks they have the right to a refund of the payments made, less the cancellation charge.
- If the store cancels the lay-by within three weeks the customer will be given seven days notice and will be entitled to a full refund of all payments made.
- Customers will be contacted for all lay-bys that are not completed by the due date. After the due date the lay-by will be cancelled and the customer will be given a refund for their payments made, less the cancellation charge of the 20% deposit.
- The cancellation charge is applied to compensate the retailer's selling, storage and administration costs.
- Any items placed on lay by cannot be altered until the lay by has been paid in full.
- No part of the lay by can be collected by the customer until the lay by has been paid for in full.
Setting up a Lay-by
Note: Lay-by information is handwritten on the lay-by sheets, and once the customer has left the store the information collected can then be put into Trade Gecko.
While the customer is in store:
- Fill out the lay-by form - this can be found at the front of the Lay-bys folder behind the counter or designated spot in the store.
- On the lay-by sheet take down the customers details, name, address, phone, email, what they have purchased, and what payment they have made and how they have paid it.
- Process the deposit via the eftpos machine or take the cash (this does not go through the POS, press NO SALE to open the till and place the cash in the till)
- Tell the customer you will email them with a copy of the receipt (this is done after creating the lay-by in the TradeGecko system) If payment is via eftpos you can give the customer the ‘customer copy’ of the transaction. If cash this will be written on the layby sheet.
After the customer has left:
- Open up Trade Gecko and select the ‘Sales Order’ tab on the left-hand side of the page.
- Up in the top right-hand corner of the page, you will find a ‘new sales order’ button - click it. This will bring you to a new sales order page.
- If the customer is not in our system already, you will need to ‘create new customer’ - clicking this button will bring up a form for you to fill in (use the information provided by the customer on the lay-by form)
- Make sure the location is set to the correct store, the price is listed as ‘Retail’ and the totals are set as ‘ Tax Inclusive’. The sale will need to be assigned to ‘ES Retail Store’. In the Reference section note : *Store Location* Lay-by.
- Search the style name to add it to the order. Make sure the colour and size are correct as this will affect stock levels if it is wrong.
- Tag the order as ‘LAYBY” at the bottom of the screen.
- Once you have reviewed all the information and pricing is correct press ‘CREATE’ at the bottom of the screen.
- After the order is created you will need to ‘Finalise the order in the top right corner (before you do this you can recheck all the details are correct as it cannot be changed after this)
- Finally, you will need to select ‘Invoice’ on the order so you can add in payments. (instructions on adding payments below)
Paying a Lay-by
- To add a payment to a Lay-by purchase you will need to select the downward arrow in the invoices box.
- A drop-down menu will appear and under ‘Workflow’ you will need to select ‘Pay’
- A new box will appear titled ‘Create Payment’ you will need to fill out the details of payment type (card or cash etc), amount (paid on the day), date paid (will automatically fill in) and then a reference (for the deposit say *store location* deposit, future payments just say the store location it was paid). Once the details are filled in click ‘create payment’.
Picking up a Lay-by
Once a Lay-by is fully paid off the customer can collect the order. Package it up as an online order in Trade Gecko by ‘ Packing’ the order and then selecting ‘Ship All’. (more information on packing an order through Trade Gecko)